Thursday 24 January 2013

The Early Days



I find myself newly single after my husband of a long time decides that marriage is no longer for him (I don't look old enough). It's all fine. I move out of the matrimonial home and throw myself into my career. A career that in all honestly sapped the will to live out of me. The job paid well though and it afforded me a very good life, even on my own.
 
I discovered that after nearly half my life as part of a couple, actually I liked, loved being single, I was good at it. Whats the first thing you do as a newly single thirty - something? You buy a ridiculous sports car. Secondly, you party..... HARD.
 
My then friends weren't quite as pleased with my new found single status and became obsessed with finding me a date. I ignored them and laughed at them for as long as I could, then I gave in, what harm could one date do..... really?
 
He was a friend of a friend. Safe. We exchanged a few texts and agreed to meet. It was a normal first date. We went to the local pub and had a pleasant night. He was good company, chatty, engaging and charming. Two people from clearly different backgrounds and very different upbringings, two lives lived most definitely on opposite sides of the tracks.
 
We dated. This will and does sound ridiculous to the point that I'm more than a little bit embarrassed telling you, when I consider myself to be of reasonable intelligence. Anyway he had moved into my temporary rented home without me really noticing. When I did I chose not to question it, I knew even then instinctively it just wasn't a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment