Sunday 27 January 2013

Sweet Little Lies


This is the point in my life were I become the world’s biggest liar. Clearly not my proudest moment.
Bearing in mind I have a three week old bundle of joy, who is my parents first grandchild, visits from Mum and Dad were very frequent.
The broken nose incident took place on a Saturday night, now Sunday always follows Saturday and that meant that we were due a visit. By lunchtime I was sporting two quite incredible black eyes. Which under any other circumstance would have been comedic. Not to mention the hugest of noses.
As soon as mum walked in the questions began. So did the lies. The most extravagant tales any one could muster. On this particular occasion I had had my first glass of wine in nine months, had slipped coming down the stairs and bounced my face off each and every spindle from the top all the way to the bottom. Which with the benefit of hindsight is almost impossible.
Tony was never more apologetic. He couldn’t believe he could have done this to me, the love of his life. He couldn’t live without me, but, would understand if I wanted him to leave. In fact he packed a bag and offered to leave said he couldn’t live with guilt. It was a one off, never would he do it again, never had he done it before. Only he had, several times, to every girlfriend he had ever had.
That crucial piece of information I didn’t discover until quite some time later. I didn’t forgive him, to say I had would be yet another lie, but I did put it behind me. Believed it was just a one off, gave him the benefit of the doubt. Funny how the previous incidents had already been erased from memory, because this wasn’t the first time was it?
The mental abuse had started to have its desired effect by now though. No one would believe me. My friends aren’t really my friends. My family, well, they just think I'm a burden, but they're stuck with me. I had nowhere to go and no one to turn to. Or at least that is what Tony had successfully got me to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment